Thursday, July 16, 2009

Getting Old

One day, I am going to get old. This is the fact of life. You have your youth, you have your prime, you have old age.

One day, I fear I won't be able to hear. Or see. Or even control my bladder or colon.

I fear the day when I will shit my pants and have to ask someone to help me.

Getting old is sure going to stink. Because you go through life, thinking you are so high and mighty, when in fact you are nothing special. You are going to face the same fate that everyone else before you has--that you will get old, you will get helpless, and everything that you have worked hard for will be worth nothing.

People will fight over you, where they should put you and your aging body. People will fight over what casket or urn you should be placed in. And people will fight over your last possessions and money.

But getting old is something that youth want so badly. They want the ability to buy alcohol, to be done with the drama of school and education, to have a real job and a real car, to have a home and a family, and to find the extraordinary love everyone deserves.

Getting old--what a twisted thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment